Hedberg Library is staffed by professional librarians available to offer assistance with Carthage students' research needs. We offer research help in the form of
- Personalized one-on-one research appointments with subject experts
- Online research guides (see Subject and Class Guides at the right)
- In-class instruction sessions
Contact a Librarian for Research Help
Please contact the librarian for your subject by clicking on their profile at the left or choosing your major or subject at the right. Once at the profile or guide, find the librarian's email address under their photo, or click the "book now" icon on the librarian's profile to schedule an appointment
The purpose of the liaison program is to establish ongoing partnerships with Carthage faculty, students, and staff. The Library Liaison will assist faculty and students in answering questions and informing faculty about LIS services and library research.
Librarian-Led Classroom Research Options
Hedberg Library is committed to helping faculty teach students research processes and best practices. A librarian can work with you to create an instruction session that will produce appropriate electronic and print resources for your specific class or give a general overview of research techniques and resources available at Carthage. The librarian is available to come to your class to teach these sessions themselves or co-teach with faculty.
- Basic Research Skills (30-45 min): Brief overview of library resources, followed by a discussion of how to conduct research.
- Facts and Fake News (30-45 min): Discussion of bad and good sources, and bias detection.
- Senior Sem/Subject Specialty (45-50 min): Specially designed research instruction for upper-level students in a specific academic subject.
- Physical Tour (15-30 min): Tour of Hedberg Library; May be combined with other types of instruction, depending on class format.
Collection Management and Curriculum Planning
Faculty may make suggestions for department-specific items to add to the library collection through their liaison (Faculty may also suggest additions to the library collection through this webform). Hedberg Library is committed to having a relevant and useful collection, so we welcome suggestions from faculty.
If you are proposing a new course or part of a new major/minor on campus, please include your librarian in the discussion of resources to add to the collection. Your librarian may also help in the following ways regarding large-scale planning in conjunction with faculty and academic departments.
- Assignment consultations: working with faculty to create assignments or integrate research and librarians into existing assignments.
- Course planning: integrating research and librarians into specific courses
- Departmental planning: sessions with departmental planning stakeholders
- Department meetings: keeping departments up-to-date with library resources, etc.
Please look at the list to the left or right to find the liaison for your department. You may contact them directly to set up instruction sessions, ask questions, or discuss library collections. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org and a librarian will get back to you.