Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Black History Themes and Resources
"Black History should be an integral part of U.S. History year-round. The accurate and in-depth teaching of Black History remains an elusive dream. Regardless, we should continue to call attention to the African-American activism and achievements during the month of February to remind us to reimagine the possibilities that can lie ahead."
- Michele Hancock, Vice President of College Culture for Inclusion, Professor of Practice in Education - Carthage College
February 2022 Black History Month Celebration Themes:
- Week 1: African-American Museums: Explore the history of African-Americans.
- Week 2: African-American Creative Expression: Explore art, music, poetry, photography, film, plays, etc.
- Week 3: African-American Inventors and Innovators: Learn about people who changed the world.
- Week 4: Anti-racism influencers: Activists and Abolitionists who commit or committed their lives to social justice.
Explore electronic resources for each week's theme below. Please also see the displays in the library and the lists of Hedberg Library subject-specific titles at the bottom of this page.
Week 1 Resources: Museums
Week 2 Resources: Creative Expressions
Week 3 Resources: innovators
Week 4 Resources: Anti-Racism Activists
Coretta Scott by
Call Number: Cur E 185.97 K47 S53 2009
Publication Date: 2009-01-06
The Fierce 44 by
Call Number: Cur E 185.96 F54 2019
Publication Date: 2019-12-24
Hand in Hand by
Call Number: Cur E 185.86 P56 2012
Publication Date: 2012-10-23
Heart and Soul by
Call Number: Cur E 185 N427 2011
Publication Date: 2011-09-27
Call Number: Cur E 444 T82 W43 2006
Publication Date: 2006-09-01
Call Number: ML 3930 F68 W43 2020
Publication Date: 2020-08-25
Sing a Song by
Call Number: Cur PZ 7 L995545 Sin 2019
Publication Date: 2019-08-06
Something to Prove by
Call Number: Cur GV 865 A1 S5157 2013
Publication Date: 2013-01-01
The Undefeated by
Call Number: Cur PS 3601 L35388 U53 2018
Publication Date: 2019-04-02